Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Common Misconception

I like typing misconception. I mean, really. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines 'misconception' as a mistaken thought, idea, or notion; a misunderstanding. The word is a noun, thusly making common the adjective. What I like most about a misconception is that people tend to get histrionic about it. Histrionic, which means overdramatic, is another fun word. Histrionic is an SAT word, and it describes my personality perfectly. The reason for all the big words, you might ask? That would be part of today's topic.

The topic? The SAT/ACT: Are they really that important?
My answer:NO. All they succeed in doing is stressing the person out because they're convinced that their going to do horribly, and that they'll never get into a good school because they'll do terribly. When in reality, not all school require them anymore. ABC News wrote an article on 27 schools that DON'T require the SAT. All the SAT tests in the first place is how well you take tests. While this may be considered a good thing, it also has it's downside. For example, the three things on the test are math, english, and a writing section. Me? Whenever I take practice ones, I do (almost) perfectly on the english portion of the test. I do decently on the writing, but I bomb the math. Math and I are mortal enemies, so we don't get along. We're like Perry the Platypus and Dr. Doofenschmirtz: We get along, but then one fools the other. The way I see it? You don't need the SAT to get into a school. Sure, it looks good, but you don't really need it. The 27 schools that don't need it? Here's the link to the website if you want to look at them: abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2540225. The 27 schools are scattered all over the country, so no matter where you live, you can still attend one of these schools.

Music for today will consist of:
1.Drop Top-Mercy Mercedes
2.Inevitable-Anberlin

That's all for now. Please comment if you have rant ideas.

No comments: