Monday, April 25, 2011

GO GREEN!

So, I'm quite aware I missed Earth Day 2011 with you all, but next year I'll be able to join you (hopefully!) from Kent State University. Today, I wanted to talk to you all about recycling. I know that I'm so incredibly behind, but I'll throw in a review of Adele's "21" which is so incredibly orgasmic.
So, recycling. We hear about it all the time, and corporations are going green at ridiculous speeds, driving the prices of everything up. But why should you care? You should care because recycling and these other "going green" initiatives are helping to save the planet. We've hurt Mother Earth to the point where we exploit the natural resources until they're gone. When I last checked, 27 different species of both plant and animals were going extinct each day because the habitats that they live in are destroyed to the point of no return. In my AP Lit class today, we read a poem. I know you're probably thinking "she's in an English class, of course she's going to be reading.", but that's besides the point at the current moment. This poem, written by Norma Millay Ellis, and I doubt there's a relation to Edna St. Vincent Millay, but that's just speculation on my part. This poem, and the old AP exam my teacher took it from doesn't have a name, warns us about abusing Mother Nature. One line says "all this was done before; we do it better, fouling every shore" and it's true. There's a Barenaked Ladies song called "It's All Been Done", just I reference it more to let you know. The poem, with it's main theme being that we should study history because everything has been done, but by who and when it what changes.
Going green can save millions of gallons of water and oil, thousands (if not millions) of trees, and best of all, help to maintain healthier water ways. Some ways you can help save the planet:
-Buy organic foods. Then, there's no factory usage on what you're purchased and every animal is fed actual grass. Plus, it's healthier for you.
-Cut down your shower time. I've been working on it, but by cutting shower time, you have more time to yourself, plus you can save water.
-Invest in solar panels.This gives you a way to save money as well as the environment.
-Walk, bike, or carpool to places. It's healthy and you can save gas AND money.

I have two reasons for writing about it.
1)To let you know what you can do to take part in the green initiative.
2)I'm applying for a scholarship that you can vote for by clicking here:  http://www.castleink.com/_scholarship-thankyou.html 


ALBUM:21
ARTIST:Adele
SONG LIST:
1)Rolling in the Deep
2)Rumour Has It
3)Turning Tables
4)Don't You Remember
5)Set Fire to the Rain
6)He Won't Go
7)Take It All
8)I'll Be Waiting
9)One and Only
10)Lovesong
11)Someone Like You
12)I Found A Boy
RATING:4.8 Stars (out of 5)
SONGS TO LOOK OUT FOR:"Set Fire to the Rain","Rolling in the Deep","Turning Tables"
SUMMARY: Adele's voice is wonderful and moving. She has a ballad touch to the entire album, but the catchy back beats make it wonderful to listen to because she's able to connect with everything that people think of, from leaving someone that you love to getting over someone that you used to be with. Her voice is unique and it's powerful, and you can never get used to it or immune to the passion that she sings with. While she was mentioned on the cover of "Rolling Stone" magazine this past month, they fail to get the true depth of her talent totally encompassed. From the slow beats of "Someone like You" to the fast-paced, rolling, piano notes of "Rolling in the Deep", this whole album is perfect for anything, other than to grind to.

No comments: