Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I wish you were here

Since no one actually reads this, I wish you were all here. So, today I'm going to rant about the internet. I know that I keep coming back to it, but today, I have to rant about its ups and downs, because it has both.
UPS:
It provides information more quickly and makes writing papers easier in a way, and it can help provide study aids, especially for tests when they post previous ones on. Plus, it makes ordering things much easier. Writing letters are no longer necessary, and you can get responses and keep in touch with family much more quickly than we used to. You can connect with people from high school, or college, or catch up with a show that you missed. Unfortunately, there are more down points.

DOWNS:
It gives high schoolers an outlet for procrastination and now students don't even have to learn how to write because almost all of the assignments are supposed to be typed. They loose the ability to write or read hand written letters. It's made books obsolete, and many people spend too much time on the internet. I'll admit that I spend time on Facebook, or working on this lovely blog that no one actually reads, but the internet provides outlets for students to cheat and copy assignments by avoiding the basics that they need, like diction and syntax. Students loose this ability to have appropriate sentence structure because computers provide spell check so that people don't have to worry about it. I can spell quite well, and I have excellent grammar because I speak the exact same way that I type. I do use colloquialisms, and it is nice to be able to check myself, but I still know how to spell and how to appropriately structure sentences. Then there are things like the "smut list" that went all over the country because of cyber bullying, but students seem to think this is normal. Yes, it's exceptionally nice to be able to talk to my friends in college and make plans over the internet, because booking plane tickets, or concert tickets is easier, but that doesn't mean that people don't like to hold a book in their hands, or go to the library and read a book rather than get everything off the internet.

Let's face it though-if we didn't have the internet, we would at a different point of development, and people would loose track of each other.

MUSIC:
HEY MONDAY-Wondergirl
TOBY LIGHTMAN-This is Love
CASH CASH-Cash Cash
LIGHTS-Saviour
TLC-Scrubs

No comments: