Wednesday, December 30, 2009

*punches the computer*

Ugh, I hate the internet. It’s starting to piss me off with it’s stupidity and the fact that I have to troubleshoot every 5 minutes, sometimes less. Even when I turn off my computer, I still have to do it half an hour later. I think it’s my home internet connection, because when I use the internet at my robotics team, I never have to worry about it because it works straight through. Ugh, this frustrates me. But now, onto my rant for today.

Do we rely to much on technology? I mean, we have lights, we have computers(which is how your reading this), we have phones that can act as computers, we have heart monitors, we have chemo, we have CD players, and stereos. We have all sorts of things that rely on one thing-electricity. But do we rely on it so much that we have no other ways of communication? People are always saying “Oh, I’ll e-mail you this” or “I’ll face book you that” or something of the sort. The United States postal service is on it’s way out the door because we no longer need it.  It’s all technological.  But the fact that some kids rely on a calculator to do simple math like 24 and 7? It’s just getting to the point where it’s saddening.  A few days ago in the car, my sister and I were joking around with my dad. My dad goes “You guys do this 24/7. It’s bothering me.” And my sister responds with “Oh, don’t you mean 32?” I looked at her, because I caught the base of her joke from the show ‘Two and a half men’ from the episode when Jake and his stepdad refer to everything that they do all the time as 31.

The fact that a NINTH grader can’t do that kind of math is just pathetic. I have trouble in math, but still. Or that my other sister has no idea what the word ‘superfluous’ means. I can use it in a PERFECT sentence, and she would still have no idea what it meant. THAT is what bothers me with the children of today. Yes, you can consider me one of them, but I can tell you that 24+7 is equal to 32, or that superfluous means more then needed or not necessary. “My next door neighbor has a superfluous amount of shoes-I’ve never seen her wear the same pair twice!” 

Some generation we have to follow us. The government wants to put money into Research and Development? Wants the students to have the highest test scores like we used to before Japan and other Asian countries took over? The fact that there is more money and funding going into science and math and technology, but not into social studies or English disgusts me. Some kids just don’t think logically, myself included, but social studies and English classes and careers are just as important. If the government were taking funding out of sports or even out of the celebrities pay-checks, then I wouldn’t complain. But the English language is taken for granted because we learn it from birth. Half of the students in our school district, myself included, would NEVER have been able to pass the citizenship test that we have-the idea of these tests coming from China, under a Confucian government. If you don’t know what that is, your fine. But if you can’t tell me the amount of land that the District of Columbia has, or the number of amendments that are in the constitution, or even who the senators are in your state, then you would NEVER be a United States citizen if you weren’t born in the United States.

Which is pathetic. If you’ve ever heard the quote “Those who don’t study history are destined to repeat it’s mistakes.”, then that’s what I’m getting at. We teach about the Holocaust to PREVENT another one. We teach about the Renaissance and the Great Enlightenment to learn about the ideas and how life was before so that we can APPRECIATE what we have now. 50 years ago, the technology that we have today would be considered alien, and in another 50 years, they’ll call what we have ancient and useless, or infantile. “Necessity is the mother of invention.”If that’s true, then why are people using things like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, when they could be learning how to play the guitar in life.

Just because English is the current Lingua Franca, or the language of trade, at the moment, doesn’t mean that it won’t change to a different language, like German or Italian. People today are stupid and they have no idea that America is no longer a core nation and that it’s on it’s way out from whatever seat of power that it has.

Anyways, onto music.

  • Bodybag-Hit the Lights
  • Do You Remember-Jay Sean
  • Hollywood-Cute is What We Aim For

2 comments:

Bill Chapman said...

It was interesting to see the mention of future language here. Have you ever thought about the growing use of Esperanto? This planned second language is spoken by a growing population of people across the world. Take a look at http://www.esperanto.net

Devon Marie said...

i have indeed thought of a possibility of the next lingua franca being esperanto. while it isnt the most common language of all, it is growing in numbers, so it would make perfect sense for esperanto to be a future language.