Thursday, March 3, 2011

All My Life

Yes, starting to go "mainstream" here, but I couldn't help myself. That damn song is so freaking catchy. I mean, it's almost obnoxiously catchy. But, hey, what the hell, right? (pun totally intended.) So.... I haven't done any book reviews in a while, so I'm thinking that I should (though, hopefully, they won't sound as childish as the ones that I wrote last year, because I sound like an 11 year old... which is not acceptable). So, for today, we're going to start off with...

  1. I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. It was a really good book that I enjoyed on a 7 hour car ride back from Canada. From what I've heard, it's really pretty similar to the movie, but they changed some stuff, but that's almost to be expected. No one can stay on perfectly. The book moved pretty quickly, once John (Number Four) begins to develop his legacies (the powers that he gets for being from the planet Lorien) and once he starts dating Sarah (Diana Agron's character). It's an enjoyable book, full of both intrigue as well as the romantic aspect. Perfect, especially for us sci-fi chicks.
I love to read, and so today.... we're going to talk about... literacy.
Many people in the US are illiterate, and it's many more than most people are willing to believe, or even admit too. According to a survey among juveniles who were processed through the court system (federal and state), 85% of them were unable to read above a 4th grade-and that's saying that they can read at all. The critical age to teach a child to read is anytime before the 4th grade, which can be pretty hard, especially considering that when a child is in the 4th grade, that's when they start to understand logic and math, at least according to psychologist Jean Piaget, who developed cognitive development into 4 stages. 
The first stage, known as the sensorimotor stage, goes for children 0-2 years old. This is when children learn about depth perception and object permanence (when an object-or person-leaves, they know it hasn't vanished forever). 
The second stage, known as preoperational, goes for children 2-7. Children at this age are easily distracted by shiny or reflective surfaces. They are also very egotistical, but not like adults are. Children in this stage can't process that there is any other way of looking at something other than their way. According to modern psychologists, this is the age when children need to be taught how to read. 
The third stage, known as the concrete operational stage, goes for children 7-12. This is when children learn a sense of right and wrong, as well as begin to think logically.
The fourth stage, known as the formal operational stage, goes for everyone else. This is when we develop a sense of justice, and begin to question everything, from religion to school. 
According to the NAAL, or the National Assessment of Adult Literacy, one in four children grows up without knowing how to read. That's 25% of the population, an even more ridiculous number, especially when you consider that there are 310, 925, 453 people in the United States, or at least, according to the US census bureau. If you don't believe me, http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html . I make no promises that the number will still be the same when (or if) you check it, especially because it just added 7 people in the time that it took me to write this paragraph, and I type more than 65 words a minute. 
Also, please trust me-I've been doing my research, and you can look at more things related to population here: http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks/worldclock/ , but currently, I want to get back on topic. (There's a shocker.)
But according to another source, 42 million ADULT Americans can't read. This is a topic that I hold very near and dear to my heart, especially because of the way that it impacts us, not only in the work place but also at school. Many athletes have a tendency to cheat, skating by on as much as they can. I'm not having a discussion about cheating with you (at least, not right now), but cheating is one of the ways that many athletes can get by without it. If these athletes don't read, it's not because they're stupid-it's because they can't. For one reason or another.

Another list though. MUSIC:
  1. 5:19-MATT WERTZ
  2. The Wanderer-MARC BROUSSARD
  3. That's What She Said-FRIDAY NIGHT BOYS
  4. I Don't Wanna Dance-HEY MONDAY
I hope you enjoy the 'lists' as well as my statistics. If you, or someone you know has trouble reading, don't be afraid to get help. The best way to learn is by getting an education, and help is available for you in many school districts, as well as tutors are available. 

No comments: