Monday, March 14, 2011

I've got friends in high and low places?

So, I just started listening to the band Forever the Sickest Kids. The album "Underdog Alma Matter" is really good. There's a lot of things that I've started doing. For one, I re-read all of the older posts I've written, and I'm so happy that I've gotten older and can appreciate how silly I was back then. Also, I wanted to let you know that at my conference this past weekend, I won my case, I made judicial exemplar, and I was the best attorney in my courtroom of about 40 people, so I'm pretty happy. I also got accepted into Bowling Green State University in Ohio, so that's two schools so far that I've been accepted to.
I also noted this morning when I checked my blog that I have more followers. Who knows how often you guys are going to check this, but hey, it makes me feel better about myself, so if you want to tell your friends, go ahead. I'll keep writing anyways.
Today, I'm going to talk to you about something that's kind of big in the news. Education. I know that I've started to talk about education, but it's really important to me. Democracy needs to be learned by each generation. Every one should know the way that our government works, because one day, it will be ours. We will be the ones ruling for our various counties, states, and our "great" nation. If our nation were truly great, then every child would follow the news, and be defining people as "children", I'm using the federal definition under social security, which is 20. Every child would know who was representing them, and not just who the 7 members of the Jersey Shore house. I'll admit, I follow celebrity gossip almost as much as every other teenager, and I love to party and hang out, but if we aren't taught these things from a young age, then how are we supposed to grow into what would be a perfect democracy? Every morning in school, we say the pledge of alligence, and our youth are never taught what it means. Every day, we go to school, and we learn, but it's what a curriculum or a state wants us to know, never what should be taught. History is controlled by the victor, the modern English language is full of colloquialisms that others wouldn't understand, and some schools don't even give children the opportunity to study a foriegn language. Language determines the way we think. In Europe, they think "I have hunger", not "I am hungry". Some languages don't acknowledge the past as a tense. If we, as a nation don't step up in our children's education, then we doom our future. The children of today control not only the outcome of any problems, but also the amount of money that we can decrease from the deficit, and, the amount of money that we eventually will take back from social security. Having spent my entire weekend in the New York State Capitol, Albany, I learned a few things, and I plan on following everything that I possibly can. WE are the change, not the people who sit in congress and try to determine what's best for us. WE have a voice, and we don't utilize it nearly enough. WE are the future, and the future can always be changed. WE are citizens as well, so we should have a say. And lastly, EVERYONE controls the fate of the world, not just the senate, not just congress, not just the president, but EVERYONE in our "great" nation. I'm not asking to be elected to office, or to even start a cult. All I ask of anyone whose read this, take it to heart. We can control the future and lean things in OUR direction, make things go OUR way, and even try and fix problems going on in our own country, because there are so many more than we're even made aware of. By embracing these challenges, I propose to you, today, or whenever you read this, that you go out, you do research, and you come up with a way to change the way that our country runs. You can write a bill, just as much as any senator, and you can be the change that you wish to see in the world. My words may inspire you, and they may anger you. They may make you laugh at how stupid you think I am, or they may cause you to think. All I ask is that you don't remain indifferent, because indifference is a curse that we must not bear.

Again, all I ask is that you take what I just said to heart, but I'll give you the music now.
FOREVER THE SICKEST KIDS-Woah Oh!(ft. Selena Gomez)
A ROCKET TO THE MOON-Mistakes I Haven't Made
FOREVER THE SICKEST KIDS-Men in Black
WE THE KINGS-A Life, A Love, A Lie

No comments: